Hello,

I have not been able to find the answer elsewhere : is it possible to connect a TI-82 and a TI-83+ (to exchange data, programs...) ?
Is it an old grey 82, or a newer 82 Stats ?
The linking interoperability between 82 Stats / 83 and 83+ / 83+SE / 84+ / 84+SE is better than the linking interoperability between plain 82 and the rest.
The programs and data suitable for a 83+ do not necessarily work on a 83 / 82 Stats (those are the same hardware, and the incompatibilities span beyond just assembly programs), let alone on a plain 82.
Thanks for your quick reply.

It's an "older" TI-82, not a TI-82-Stats. I have been unable to link with a TI-83+, and I wonder if it's at all possible. I get a "Xmit error".

To be really accurate, my TI-82 is exactly like this one : http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/JPEG_TI-82_1.htm
Oh, that's a Parcus TI-82, which is actually relatively newer. Nevertheless, you will indeed have difficulty communicating with the Flash-based (TI-83+ and above) calculators. Which kinds of variables are you trying to transfer, and in which direction?
Well, ideally, I would like to transfer programs to or from the 82.

Alternately, is it easy to communicate with a PC without serial ports (only USB) ? IIRW, I've read the TI-82 only works with a serial cable. I have the USB "silver" cable however.
When sending stuff from a TI-83+ to a TI-82, all you can send are Lists L1 to L6. You also have to use the "Lists to TI82" option in the Link menu.

When sending the other way around, you can send anything as long as the program doesn't contain invalid commands. Some commands will also be replaced and some math operations will not be calculated properly due to differences in order of operation and parentheses between both models.
@DJ_O You're right! I guess I only tried transmitting programs from Ti-83+ to Ti-82, so far. But the other way around, it actually works.
Sad that Ti did not incorporate this capability in the Ti-83+.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours