Is it possible to desolder the existing RAM/ARC chips and replace them with ones that have a higher memory or would it cause too many issues? If you could, then couldn't you give your calc, like, four gigs of memory?

By the way, I've noticed that after messing around with Grammer's memory commands, sometimes I create variables, like Y1 or r1, with around 20000 bytes. Hmmmm...
I'm very certain that the way the memory is addressed by the OS it isn't made to handle the other memory locations.. I'm certain that there would be problems.
gaventemples31415 wrote:
Is it possible to desolder the existing RAM/ARC chips and replace them with ones that have a higher memory or would it cause too many issues? If you could, then couldn't you give your calc, like, four gigs of memory?
Short answer, no. Long answer, yes, but you'd have no way to access the higher RAM/Archive. Even longer answer, you can install a 4MB Flash chip on the TI-84+SE instead of the 2MB chip and use port $0E (present on all TI-84+SE and TI-84+CSE ASICs) to access the higher 2MB. Strongly not recommended, though.

Quote:
By the way, I've noticed that after messing around with Grammer's memory commands, sometimes I create variables, like Y1 or r1, with around 20000 bytes. Hmmmm...
You're corrupting the VAT. Those values don't represent the real size of anything.
gaventemples31415 wrote:
[...] If you could, then couldn't you give your calc, like, four gigs of memory?
[...]
No, as the CPU is only 16 bits it can only store ram addresses up to 2^16 = 65536 byte and that is about 65KB
Oh. OK.
Sorunome wrote:
gaventemples31415 wrote:
[...] If you could, then couldn't you give your calc, like, four gigs of memory?
[...]
No, as the CPU is only 16 bits it can only store ram addresses up to 2^16 = 65536 byte and that is about 65KB
That is exactly 64.0KB, actually. Wink 1KB = 1024B, so 65536B = 1024*64 = 64KB. Smile The z80 can actually address a lot more than 64KB of memory through a technique called banking. The z80 addresses 4 banks of 16KB, and you can swap which portion of RAM or ROM is mapped into each of those four banks. That's how the calculator accesses its up to 128KB of RAM and 4MB of ROM.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours