As the title says, I know that some of the older ti-83/84 games run slow in terms of taking a long time loading etc and I know that you can do it pretty easily in terms of assembly, I'd much rather have some way to make the parser run at 15mhz unless told otherwise to make everything run more smoothly.

P.S. I've looked around and supposedly some shells are able to force it but I'm not aware of any that can really make it happen.
If you're using a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition or any TI-84 Plus-series calculator, your TI-BASIC programs are indeed running at 15MHz. The TI-OS enforces this, to the best of my memory, and Doors CS also enforces this.
I'm using a ti-84+ SE with 2.43 as I accidently upped to 2.55mp and then got the downgrader(thank god) and then it decided to
work fine. The main reason I posted this is that I saw a video of someone showing off just how slow the ti-84 color was, and their ti-83 seemed to run the BASIC program at the same speed as my t-84+ and I could've sworn that the ti-83 was only 6mhz.
You're correct that the TI-83 non-plus (and the TI-83 Plus non-Silver Edition) are 6MHz only, while the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition is 15MHz. Are you saying that 2.55MP seemed to run the programs slower than 2.43? The solution for that is to turn off MathPrint mode (MODE -> CLASSIC). It has nothing to do with the CPU speed.
I was saying that I _used_ to have a 2.55MP version of the OS but I have downgraded to 2.43 now and am currently on. I don't have a ti-83 handy to try to do a simple test. But using WabbitEmu at 100% cpu speed for ti-83 vs my Ti-84+ SE it was barely 5-6s faster for the full exeuction of the program whereas I would've imagined that it'd be at least 20% faster than the other one.

It was super simple.

0->Z
For(Z,1,999
Disp Z
End

and it seemed as though the ti-84+ SE was running at ~100 numbers or so faster than the 83+. I did use ALCD fix since apparently that could fix some of the issues with my calculator the games looked a bit off, but I didn't imagine that it'd somehow make the thing run slower. I know obviously that ASM is ~4-5x as fast in most cases, at least in the Axe programs that I wrote when I compared it with the BASIC version I had done that was the case.

They were simple Calculators for games that I was playing so I could quickly extrapolate the growth of my stats in the game.
ALCD fix (and its Doors CS equivalent, the LCD tuner in the Display options) do indeed not affect the calculator's speed. Let's review:
1) You ran the program shown above (FYI, the 0->Z is unnecessary) on a real TI-83 and a TI-84+SE with OS 2.43?
2) You measured the time to complete on both calculators? What were those times? It's worth mentioning that the TI-83 in general runs TI-BASIC faster at 6MHz than any of the TI-83+ to TI-84+CSE models at 6MHz, because its parser is simpler.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours