So I found this video watching a NerdCubed video and it really put coding into a whole other perspective for me and I was wondering what you guys thought of it. It makes sense to me at least.

Nice! But I hate how he dissed TI-BASIC... but that's understandable, coming from him, I guess.
Michael2_3B wrote:
Nice! But I hate how he dissed TI-BASIC... but that's understandable, coming from him, I guess.

Yeah I only like it because of the point he made about programming in general including TI-BASIC Very Happy
As soon as he kicked off by using 'quirky' as a compliment, I figured it'd go downhill from there... he caught me off guard, though, that was really entertaining and well-put-together! Thanks for sharing this.

Michael2_3B wrote:

I mean, it wasn't exactly an unfounded insult... it really isn't a great language. It's fun to mess around in, sure, but there's so little you can do with it.
M. I. Wright wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

I mean, it wasn't exactly an unfounded insult... it really isn't a great language. It's fun to mess around in, sure, but there's so little you can do with it.

I agree, many of the greatest games or most useful programs, they really push the limits of what the language can do. TI-89 BASIC is better than TI-83+ BASIC, but if you know TI-83+ BASIC, it's hard to understand (from the perspective of a person who could barely program a simple guessing game Razz ).
Shells can be made in BASIC, however...

(Nicholas looks at his progress)
Thanks for sharing this video. I think I should start making some videos myself, because he made almost the same points I make in my "Programming" book, namely:
1) Any programming language will teach you to "think like a programmer", so picking an easy, understandable one first is a good idea (TI-BASIC!).
2) Learning programming should be problem-driven, not language-driven. You shouldn't set out to learn C or TI-BASIC, you should set out to learn how to transform an idea you want to create into code. That's one of the things I think TI-BASIC is particularly good at.
3) A beginner programming language should be super-easy to get started in; the less you have to download, configure, compile, install, debug, and troubleshoot your tools, the better. TI-BASIC is great for that. Plus, who wants to type public static void and System.out.println when "Disp" is an option?

Just my two cents.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours