slimeenergy wrote:
I don’t want to leave this to the user to configure. To me, this is different to an on-off setting; this is more of the designer’s job, and having the user fine tune it would take away from the experience, in my opinion.

Okay, I do agree with that. I still think that an on-off setting would be a good idea, though.
This game has had all of its logic done for a while now — all it's missing is levels. It feels like a shame to not have released this game which is nearly complete.

I've got a lot of projects and hobbies keeping me occupied for now, so I can't quite design the thirty-ish levels that I wanted to for this game, however I could make an online level editor that anyone could use...

Here's the meaty question of this post.

Would anyone be interested if I crowdsourced the level design by allowing everyone to use an online level editor and submit the levels to this thread?
I could easily implement the game's logic into the editor and allow you to playtest your levels as well. This editor would have exporting/importing functionalities.

If anyone is interested in designing levels or even just wants to try designing one without necessarily finishing it, let me know and I can totally make this web editor a thing.
I think that this is a great idea--just look at all of the Oiram level packs that people have made. Assuming it's not too much trouble, I don't see any clear downside to it.

So presumably, you'd package the game with some kind of default level pack and then allow external level packs as well? That's how I had it work for Ace Recon, and many of the other level-based games that I've seen on the CE (Sketch Maze, Oiram, and Sqrxz, all for the CE, are some examples that come immediately to mind). I might be concerned about how many people actually do make levels though, as it seems fairly common for an editor to be released and then no one uses it.

I do think that this would be a good addition to the game though, and I hope you'll go through with it.
epsilon5 wrote:
I think that this is a great idea--just look at all of the Oiram level packs that people have made. Assuming it's not too much trouble, I don't see any clear downside to it.

So presumably, you'd package the game with some kind of default level pack and then allow external level packs as well? That's how I had it work for Ace Recon, and many of the other level-based games that I've seen on the CE (Sketch Maze, Oiram, and Sqrxz, all for the CE, are some examples that come immediately to mind). I might be concerned about how many people actually do make levels though, as it seems fairly common for an editor to be released and then no one uses it.

I do think that this would be a good addition to the game though, and I hope you'll go through with it.

I was planning this to be a more spontaneous event. The levels would be submitted to this thread for review to be added to the default set of levels for when the game comes out. (External level packs aren't currently in my scope right now.)

If I have time, I'd like to add level codes that work with the game's built-in level editor (basically a bunch of characters you punch in that contain a compressed version of the level for import/export).
I think an online editor would be awesome, and I'd be willing to maybe try my hand at making a level or two - though I'm not sure they would be the best, I think it would still be fun! Smile It would be good not only because it would allow people to make levels once the game is done, but also to get people excited for the release by making levels to contribute to it!
I would also agree with an online level editor! It'd be cool if you could package the HTML and whatnot for it in the program release itself for archival purposes or offline use too.

I'd probably make a couple levels myself.
The XTreme Golf Level Design Contest has begun!

First, make your levels here!

Then, submit your levels here or as a reply to this post!

What is XTreme Golf and what are the game's rules?
XTreme Golf is a calculator puzzle game where the goal is to get the ball into the hole — only much more extreme! The ruleset is explained in the original topic's post.

How will this work?
1. You design a level via the web editor and export its level code.
2. You then submit that level code to the submission form or as a reply to this post.
3. Then, your level will be reviewed and may be added to the campaign of XTreme Golf for the game's release! I may revise a submitted level as I see fit, though I'll try to remain true to the original design.

What are the chances my level gets accepted?

If the level is either fun or difficult, then the chances are quite good. I'm planning on the game having 18 campaign levels, but I may adjust this if there are many good submissions.
A good way to increase your chances of getting accepted is to make sure your level is not too easy!

Here are some good example levels:
O5AIAA3IDHAUTAIA3IAAI6AFAVZAI6A

5AJAS3AIKAQN3AIAIAVEAD5AI3AI6AGA

6AIAVBAAIAIKIEAIAIAIAAIPTAIIN4A8I

What if there are not enough submissions for the release?
Well, you better get submitting, then Wink

Is there a deadline?
Submissions may close if I get enough in order to fill the game's campaign. Until then, they will remain open. Note; I will give a 2 day warning before submissions close for any last-minute submissions.

I found a bug with the level editor! Or maybe I only have a suggestion?
Reply to this post with bugs and suggestions for the level editor. I don't plan on working on the editor unless there is a massive flaw or a very very good suggestion.

How many submissions are there so far?
Here is a Google Sheets of all submissions!
Currently, there are 2 submissions
- 0 of these submissions need revisions

Quick Level Editor Tutorial

Link to editor

This tutorial is divided into:
- Overview: The main elements of the editor
- Designing Levels: How to place tiles and spawns
- Play Mode: How to play the level and return to edit mode
- Exporting/Importing Levels: How to export and import levels

Overview

The ribbon on the left is where you will be selecting tiles to put down, playing your level, and exporting your level.
The selected tile will have a black outline around it.

The play area in the center will be where you edit and play your level.

Designing Levels

When you are not in play mode, you may edit your level! To place a spawn-point or tile, select it in the ribbon.

Once you have selected what you would like to place from the ribbon, you may now click anywhere in the play area to place the tile (as long as you are not in play mode). You may hold down the mouse button and drag your mouse to place multiple tiles at once.

Hold right-click to clear tiles with ease!

The player and ball spawn-points will dictate where the player and ball spawn.
Note: You only must have exactly player spawn-point and exactly one ball spawn-point! No more, no less!

Play Mode

Click the green triangle to play your level.

In play mode, it will transform into a red square. Click it to exit play mode.

While in play mode, use your arrow keys to move the character around. In order to restart a level in play mode, simply exit then start play mode.

Exporting/Importing Levels
Exporting and importing are the only ways to save your level, so pay attention and make sure you write down that export code somewhere!
Once you have a sufficient level, hit the Import/Export level button in the ribbon!

From this point, you may either look at exporting or importing.

Exporting
Your exported level code will appear in a dialog box.

Copy it. Congratulations, you have now exported a level!

Importing
If you would like to import a level, put the level's code into the text box (the same text box that the export code came out of) and hit O.K.! This will load the level into the editor.

Good Luck!
I hope you enjoy making and submitting levels, get creative!
epsilon5 wrote:
I might be concerned about how many people actually do make levels though, as it seems fairly common for an editor to be released and then no one uses it.

I don't know about that, on TI-Planet we ended up creating specific archive categories for Oiram levels and Geometry Dash levels because there were/are so many made by enthusiasts (80+ each) Smile

So, I think having an editor is a great feature (and I guess bonus points if it can be web-based) Smile
My only concern about web-based editors is that they have the tendency to disappear entirely after the author vanished for a few years and stopped maintaining or paying the hosting.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
My only concern about web-based editors is that they have the tendency to disappear entirely after the author vanished for a few years and stopped maintaining or paying the hosting.

It’s hosted on github pages, so it should stay alive. As well as that, I will include an offline version in the release Smile
GD6AIJ3IFFIFH4IK3IAPIAN6AFVG3AIO

Not sure if that's a good level or not, just messing around with the editor. I'll edit this post later on if I make more before someone else replies, and also will submit to the form.

And after working with the editor some more, it's very nice to use. I particularly like that you can hold right click to clear out the spaces, and it's very straightforward and simple. I'm also impressed that you got the gameplay working within the editor in such a short amount of time.
epsilon5 wrote:
GD6AIJ3IFFIFH4IK3IAPIAN6AFVG3AIO

Not sure if that's a good level or not, just messing around with the editor. I'll edit this post later on if I make more before someone else replies, and also will submit to the form.

And after working with the editor some more, it's very nice to use. I particularly like that you can hold right click to clear out the spaces, and it's very straightforward and simple. I'm also impressed that you got the gameplay working within the editor in such a short amount of time.

Nice! I like the path that the player makes with the explosives. Even though it's not difficult, I think it's a good level idea for introducing that mechanic. My only critique is that there are some elements that don't seem to serve a purpose aesthetically nor gameplay-wise, but I could definitely modify that when adding it to the game. I appreciate the comments about the editor; I was also surprised that I got it all done in an evening. Thanks for choosing to participate!
3I3AJ3IUAS6AINAAZI4AEV4A9I

This is a little level I made so I could figure out the mechanics of magnets. There are a few ways to complete it, but it should be possible to complete only touching the ball twice!
TIny_Hacker wrote:
3I3AJ3IUAS6AINAAZI4AEV4A9I

This is a little level I made so I could figure out the mechanics of magnets. There are a few ways to complete it, but it should be possible to complete only touching the ball twice!

Thanks for participating! I really like this for an early level as it shows off all aspects of magnets — from being pushable, blocking the ball, and pulling the ball,
Fun fact: As an experienced player, this level took me 14.86 seconds to solve from seeing the level for the first time to putting the ball in the hole.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours