Background: I have a wireless home network with 2 computers connected. I used to use DHCP because it made everything easier.

Recently, I decided to make the house's ip static because I heard it can increase connection speeds. I did so by configuring the my router to have static ip for the lan, and then changed the TCP/IP settings of the wireless connections on both computers to the appropriate static values. I actually noticed a substatnial speed increase, and just to make sure that this wasn't just the placebo effect, I went to dsl reports and ran a speed test before and after. I went from a download speed of like 356KB/s to 1200KB/s. Also, I don't have to redo my port forwarding every time I get a new lan ip address with DHCP. Up until now, I've had no intention of switching back, but...

My dad has a laptop he uses for both work and home. At work they use DHCP. When he tried to connect to our network this morning, it wouldn't allow him to. So he burst into my room and woke me up at 6:00AM to fix it. I simply changed the TCP/IP settings to the static settings, but then it hit me. He's not going to be able to connect at work. So I have until Monday to either turn my home connection back to DHCP so his laptop will work for both, or find some other system. I really really really don't want to go back to DHCP. Sad

I tried to make two wireless connections on that computer (one for work that's DHCP, and one for home that's static), but stupid windows wouldn't let me. Is there a solution other than *gasp* going back to DHCP?

BTW, he's running WindowsXP SP2 if that matters, and the router is a linksys wireless b router (yes, I know, it's the slow one. When I bought it the only differences to me between the b and the g were 4 letters and $50 Laughing Now I know I should have gotten it.).
You could write a script that he would have to run to connect to each network, but other than that, I'm uncertain. (aside from doing some trickery and coding a either a hook or a new wifi scanner to replace the windows one)

However, static IP isn't any faster than DHCP ASIDE FROM the time it takes to connect. Once connected to the router, DHCP is identical to a static IP, as both only govern how your computer gets its local network IP, nothing more Smile
1. You mean like a batch file? I'm not exactly sure how to do such a thing. If it's not super involved (like only taking a couple minutes) and I sent you the info, could you write one, please?

2. That's what I thought, but the test would indicate otherwise. I dunno, maybe somebody was using the other computer when the first test was taken, but it does seem faster. Plus, I don't want to go back to updating my port forwarding every day. If you know of a fix for that, than I guess I will go back to DHCP.
1: Heh, I'm not entirely sure how to set the settings in a script either, although I know its possible

2: Your tests were either A) Flawed, or B) testing the wrong thing. It sounded like you did an internet speed test, which is testing the wrong thing. Think about it, if your network is 802.11B, that gives you 11mbs of network bandwidth. Even with 3mbs internet connection, that leaves you 8mbs available for overhead and poor-performance equipment. A better test (that actually tests the network rather than the internet), would be to send a file between two computers and time it (with a stopwatch). the larger the file the more accurate the results will be (aka, less influenced by infrequent problems like packet loss)

2 (cont): As for the port forwarding, that is much easier. Your router's config page more than likely operates off of a simple web page interface. You could easily code a Python script to submit/update the necessary POST values with your computers network IP Smile
ok, for setting up his network, set his laptop to DHCP, then go to the Alternate Config Tab, and set up the Static Address you want him to use. His comp will attempt to DHCP when it connects, but when that fails, instead of Automatic Private Addresss (169.172.x.y), it will take the Static you assigned it.
Wow, thanks Rivereye. I'll go try that right now.

Edit: Problem. I can't find the alternate tab:

Set the radio buttons to "Obtain an IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically" and the Alternate Configuration tab will show up
Chipmaster wrote:
Wow, thanks Rivereye. I'll go try that right now.

Edit: Problem. I can't find the alternate tab:

Sorry about going offtopic, but where did you get that ff skin? It looks awesome.
yeah, I said you had to set to DHCP first.
That's the "something-or-other Silver" skin - I used that until I switched to Aquatint. Here you go:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/101/
Sorry, I was reluctant to change it to DHCP before I saw the alternate tab because I didn't feel like copying down the DNS server stuff again.

One last question. When I was setting up the alternate tab, it asked for a WINS server at the bottom. What is that? Should I put anything in? Nothing under ipconfig /all says anything about it.
WINS is old technology, you don't need it, or to supply an address (only Mix Mode Domains need them if I recall, or those with 9x clients, but since 2K, it has not been needed).
Ok. It's kinda funny that they have the input in the alternate connection but not the regular connection. That's what confused me. Thanks again. It works. It's a little slow to connect at home (because it has to wait for the DHCP to fail), but it's acceptable. Smile
well, it was that, or he had to go back and forth. I actually do something similar just incase my router doesn't want to DHCP (which it will do on occasion).
have your router at home be set normally for DHCP, but adjust your own computer to use a static ip, and then just use the router as a gateway/dns server (or your modem if its separate).
The problem is already fixed, first off. Secondly, wouldn't that not work after the lan ip is updated because of DHCP? Confused
Chipmaster wrote:
The problem is already fixed, first off. Secondly, wouldn't that not work after the lan ip is updated because of DHCP? Confused

nope, you go to the properties for the internet connection on your computer (im assuming you are on WinXP...). find TCP/IP "this connection uses the following items". select it and click the properties button. switch off of automatic radio button and enter your static ip info.
Oh so it's the computer that renews the ip in a DHCP connection, not the router. Surprised
Chipmaster wrote:
Oh so it's the computer that renews the ip in a DHCP connection, not the router. Surprised

yeah, the compy just grabs the IP from the router using the DHCP protocol.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours