tifreak8x wrote:

Also, ME == 98SE, but adds better support for plug and play. So don't kill me for suggesting it. I updated from 98SE to ME on an old laptop, and it works great now, with less problems than when it had 98SE on it.

Many people(Including me) have had horrid problems with ME. It was just thrown together with no real plan.
I have heard nothing but troubles from ME. Never have used it (or seen it used) either though. Maybe thats a good thing (lol).
I had a teacher that had a laptop w/ me preinstalled. He upgraded to XP like 3 daysafter getting it. His HD crashed and I(the nice person I am) fixed it for him then it took us like 3 weeks to get XP to install over ME.
You were preinstalled on his laptop?! Shock But seriously, ME is one of the worst Microsoft products ever, and that's saying a lot, considering it's Microsoft. Mentioning it in tech-savvy cultures meets with almost universal scorn, as you can see here.
I had no choice in the matter of upgrading to ME, since I had lots of info on that laptop I could not get off of it with a mem drive. I tried several supposed drivers for it, but none would allow it to be recgnized correctly. But when I upgraded to ME, it instantly recognized my 1gig flash card, which was a god send, because everything I tried before had failed. Now I can get all the stuff off of the laptop I want...

And I have yet to have had a bad experience with ME... It works just fine on my system.
Huh, you got lucky then. Well, I suppose it's not bad for everyone then, just a bit buggy for some.
Bombu wrote:
I have heard nothing good about 2000 or ME.

Then you obviously have only heard about ME and not 2000 Very Happy

Seriously tho, the 9x series (that includes ME), has the worst networking support of pretty much any OS ever (particularly TCP/IP) The NT series (includes 2000 and XP) have infinitely better networking. So I would go along with the others in suggesting an upgrade to 2000
before an upgrade to 2K though, do a back-up, incase something goes wrong (you are completely changing the kernel you know).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours