ok i have a site up and i need to protect a folder im tryin to use .htaccess.... the file say "Deny from all" but the folder still opens you can get to wut im talkin about by going to bsa305.tk then clickin members only. i removed the files from the folder temporarily...

i have COMPLETE access... its runnin from this comp:) could sum1 plz help me figure out how to make this work? im using xampp on windows xp pro

server goin down at 10:00 est... idk when ill have it back up...
well, one way would to just make an index.html file and simple put ACCESS DENIED in it, then they'd need to know the file name

ANOTHER way would be to alter the folders properties to only allow access from the owner (700 i think)

not sure if you have your heart set on using a .htaccess file or something, but the above 2 should also work just fine
There is indeed a way to protect folders via htaccess, but it requires you to use a program, the name of which I disremember, that creates an htsomethingelse file.
Kllrnohj wrote:
well, one way would to just make an index.html file and simple put ACCESS DENIED in it, then they'd need to know the file name

ANOTHER way would be to alter the folders properties to only allow access from the owner (700 I think)

not sure if you have your heart set on using a .htaccess file or something, but the above 2 should also work just fine

im not tryin to stop all ppl from accessin that directory... i want ppl to be able to if they know the password... but the .htaccess isnt doin nething... i set it to Deny from all to test it.. there already is a index.htm that has a page... but i moved out of the web folder to keep it from bein accessed

the .htaccess-s that came already there, like the 1 to protect the security page work... but i need to kno how to add my own that work...

oh ya... server is up...
you could just make it an FTP-only directory then...
ftp only? y would i do that? there is an actual graphical page that is made for it... it used to be protected by .htaccess on the server it was on... but broadphase shut down... i want it so that if you click members only it will ask for the username and password
there are some generators online for the .htaccess , users, and groups files you need i do not know of any off hand though
holy, necropost much?
1. Don't necropost.
2. patl411 has been gone. For months.
oh, sorry, and what is a necropost
Your previous post.
posting in a topic that is long dead (this one is 10 months old).
k, sorry, i had not noticed
Glenn wrote:
k, sorry, i had not noticed

If its not in the "New Posts" list, then always, ALWAYS check the date Razz
A necropost is an unnecessary addition to a thread that is no longer relevant. A post two days after an issue is resolved may be a necropost, while one two years later may not be if it adds valuable new information to the thread that's still relevant.
But it didn't add significant information to the thread.
OK, I GET IT!!!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
But it didn't add significant information to the thread.
Exactly, thus it was a true necropost and unnecessary. Case closed.
Edit: Laughing Not really criticism of you, specifically, Glenn, just information for the next person. Smile
Quote:
OK, I GET IT!!!

Yes, we know that Razz
Great. Topic closed!