How on earth do you use iDetect?!
first of all, would you care to tell us what iDetect is?
It is an ion lib. Rolling Eyes
It finds programs that begin with a certain string. You'd use it to find level files, for example. Input HL as the VAT location that you want it to start searching at (I think) and IX as a pointer to the ID string (null-terminated). It returns DE as maybe.. the VAT entry after the one it detected (Is this true? The DCS wiki isn't very clear on it. Use getprev to find the one that matched) and HL points to the program data (only if it was in RAM, you'll need to use the VAT entry if it's archived) and returns the zero flag set if there were no matching programs.
I know that if it's archived, it copies to ram. I guess I'll do some tests in Calcsys or something.
Yup, Calcsys really helped. I understand it now. Very Happy
So does it copy to RAM or not?
Yes, it does. It copies to the end of the user ram.
Excellent, I just updated the wiki with your new information. Thanks for figuring that out.
Also, it skips programs that are too big, and de points to the VAT entry after (going backwards in memory) the one found.
Great, also important info. Could you add that to http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=IDetect please, if you get a chance?
I just edited the wiki, and discovered that it only detects protected programs.
so wait, could you use idetect to search for files that start w/ "this" and it returns the names of any files that are named thisXXX. could this be used w/ app var to create a save system in a game that allows for unlimited save files?
You're close, but not quite accurate. It would find protected programs named anything, but only those which start with "this" in the data. In short, you could, and it's how programs like Phoenix and Mario find levels.
/me thinks Kerm needs to allow custom icons for idetect files of various types.
Liazon wrote:
so wait, could you use idetect to search for files that start w/ "this" and it returns the names of any files that are named thisXXX. could this be used w/ app var to create a save system in a game that allows for unlimited save files?
Not quite, as the Tari said. But it does indeed provide access to theoretically limitless numbers of levels.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours