I have dial-up internet so it takes me quite a while to download things like games and linux distros. I like to leave my internet on overnight to download, but my internet disconnects after a while of inactivity. I found, though, that my internet stays on if I leave a browser open with this site open. I figured it must have something to do SAX, but I'm not sure. Anyway, this got me thinking. Do you think this batch file will keep me online? I won't be able to test it out for a couple days.

Code:

:loop
ping google.com -n 1 -l 1
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1 >NUL
goto :loop

If I keep sending packets to google, I should still be considered active, and that one byte every 30 seconds shouldn't really affect my bandwidth much.
ok, why that works here is the SAX on the left side of the screen (you were right). The AJAX that created it is alway making a connection, so that is why you get what you get. Though you would think that downloading would be a connection, and therefore keep things going. If a ping like that works, congrats. The main way to find out, start a download tonight, run the file, and see what happens (but don't connect to Cemetech while doing so). Otherwise, if that doesn't work, you can always connect to Cemetech or another forum with SAX to do this.
Having a download going should keep your connection open, and the ping *should* work as well
just turn that feature off... it's a windows feature... look in the Internet Connection preferences I think. I havent used dialup since June though, So i dont remember.
What I do, At school they have a 10minute timeout, so after to mins of inactivity you get logged out of the internet. I make a web page, just a single page, that refreshes every minute or so. This can be done in plain HTML. Worked for me for three years and counting. Hope this helps and makes it easier.
Would leaving SAX open lower my download speeds?

And I might try out that refreshing html page if this doesn't.
SAX might lower it (being that it needs bandwidth), but that all depends on how much bandwidth your download is taking. Chances are on dial-up though, you will see a small decrease.
foamy3 wrote:
Would leaving SAX open lower my download speeds?

And I might try out that refreshing html page if this doesn't.

It will every n-seconds, depending on the current refresh rate SAX is at (which is dynamic and adjusts to the activity occuring on SAX, I think) So every n seconds you will see a 50% drop in download speed until SAX has refreshed (which even on dial-up will only take a couple hundred milliseconds), so no, you won't see any noticeable hit in downloads
SAX starts with a refresh rate of 7 seconds. That is, once per 7 seconds it opens a connection to Cemetech.net and downloads about 1.5-2.5 KB. If the contents hasn't changed, it adds 1 second to the refresh rate (slower rate). If the contents change on a subsequent refresh, the rate resets back to 7 seconds. So yes, SAX is responsible for keeping your downloads alive.
Darn, it didn't work. I wonder why...
foamy3 wrote:
Darn, it didn't work. I wonder why...

dial-up can drop out for reasons OTHER than inactivity auto-disconnect (and those other reasons are, and probably have been, your problem the entire time)
true, back when we had dial-up, it stayed connected very well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours