Oh? Which BSD is that? Your precious, beloved FreeBSD? Or how about OpenBSD? NetBSD? Or is it a from-scratch BSD and not part of a distro?

And it could be that atmel's program has a bug, which is why its crashing, not necessarily that windows is stupid... Rolling Eyes
No relative to the robot i assure you that the program doesn't have the error is the windows drivers that have it because we tryed on a different PC with differenc COM port hardware and it works just fine althought the computers that have ensurance are those we are using and we cannot modify them because the univ don't let's it about the BSD system is FREEBSD because it is the best on servers... like what we have on our univ... And about windows is stupid yah really windows is fucking stupid erasing the boot due to power failure is fucking stupid only windows does that kind of stuffs...
I've had several PCs go down from a power failure, and windows didn't just magically decide to erase their boot sector. In fact, they booted just fine once the power was returned Rolling Eyes

But I must ask, how can windows erase the boot if the computer is no longer running (or how can the computer continue to run without power)? That would be mighty impressive Razz
i just do runs when the power failure happens the disk is still working unless we disable the disk we may cause an error on the disk do to the fact that its motor is still rotating, but windows have the special case for boot.ini files and its not impossible to have the computer working during power failure did you have eard about UPS...
I have heard of UPSes, and that is not the point. The point is that there is no

Code:
if (!have_Power()) {
        delete_random_stuff();
}

in windows. Rolling Eyes The boot.ini is no different than /boot/grub/grub.conf (or menu.lst depending on your distro) (you can, in fact, use the Windows boot loader to launch grub/lilo by adding the correct info to boot.ini)

Have you ever heard of punctuation?
ya but you said i they can run without power ans i said UPS now the point is not directly in the code but at hardware level if the needle 'agulha' i don't how english people call it is writing and the power goes down then it could erase something that it shouldn't be erased that's the fact true fact is that does'nt happen on unix system because of the assinc/unsinc disk... is that the fact windows thave the tendency to write to mutch data linux and unix based systems don't....
Dude, windows uses an async file system too Rolling Eyes Not that it matters, it still has to be written to disk eventually, and I prefer that it do it sooner rather than later, so that if there IS a power failure, then it isn't lost Very Happy

Although I will agree with the windows writes more, but thats more due to the antique page-file swap system...
that's no the point the point is that unix systems use an thing called sofupdates this decreases synchronous I/O and increases asynchronous I/O because writes to a UFS filesystem aren't synced on a sector basis but according to the filesystem structure... windows is syncroned not assyncroned that's why they use too mutch harddrive to write well at least windows xp use this method...
hey about the COM and robotics, our robotics team here uses Windows for programming and sending the information to the bot, so I don't know what your issue was.
is simple we portuguese detain the world champion of robot's futebol now you will wonder why simple, we have many different people in the same project engeneers researchers etc... but the main caese of this is that we don't use windows for programming not anymore when we use it we use cygwin for atmel processors but we do not use those too now we use pentium D for that and we use a platform called NetBSD for programming... not only because its is a unix system but because it is the best for running software not yet released "it handles very good bugs" the scenario of windows is not anymore feasible we have to have lincences if the PC crashes we loose our work well in a stable environment we can test our robots AI and only then transfer the program to the robot when the program is started there are no connection between the PC and the robot the robots are left alone... thats... i do not know witch team are you talking about but one thing is certain we use unix system because the easy way that we have to grab compilers for them... we have not too worry about licenses anymore...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours