I've been looking at trying out gentoo, so I downloaded and burned a CD, but just like every other 2.6 kernel based linux CD (with the exception of Ubuntu Edgy) I've tried on this hardware, it couldn't find the CD drive due to a bug in the JMicron chipset driver (that's the PATA on my board). I hear this bug should be fixed in kernel 2.6.20, but that's a little ways off, so until I can get a SATA optical drive, I'm stuck trying to install from USB, or starting the installer from in Ubuntu, or something like that.
How would I go about that? Google didn't have anything about actually installing to a hard drive from USB.
If you can boot off the ubuntu CD, you should be able to boot off the gentoo one just fine... unless I'm missing something here?

Anywho, this is one of the things I don't really like about the new LiveCDs. If you do it manually, you can do it from pretty much wherever you want. (instructions available here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml)

However, have a look at this wonderful document, entitled "Alternate Installation Methods" Very Happy http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml (specifically chapter 6, from an existing distro)

But as long as you can boot up the system (be it from USB or CD-ROM) and get to a linux prompt, you'll be good to go
I can boot off the Ubuntu CD but not the Gentoo one because Ubuntu has a patch for JMicron.
Thanks for the links, though.
*bump*
Installations of gentoo is coming along nicely, but I've hit a wall with compiling the kernel. When I do 'make && make modules_install', it says

Code:

arch/x86_64/kernel/asm_offsets.c:1: error: code model 'kernel' not supported in the 32 bit mode
arch/x86_64/kernel/asm_offsets.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64 bit mode not compiled in
make[1]: *** [arch/x86_64/kernel/asm_offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Processor type is set to Generic-x86-64, and subarchitecture type is PC-compatible...
My guess is because you've been following the handbook I linked you to, which is for the 32-bit installation, not the 64-bit one (which is here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml )

You also must use the 64-bit Stage3 tarball or it won't work
Yup, I ended up figuring that out, after I chrooted into the stage 3 system with 'linux32 chroot blahblah' and it worked (I had a x86 stage3). Thanks anyway, you confirmed my suspicions.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours