yah but my point was that linux got code from bsd
okk, the code may have been used, but the way I read that chart, the majority of the code is not from BSD, just small amounts. From what you said when you posted it was that Linux was spawned from BSD, but that is not true. I think that this post is getting a little too far out of hand, but will leave it alone for a tad bit, see what happens.
rayden wrote:
yah but my point was that linux got code from bsd

...and I'm sure somewhere along the line BSD got code from Linux (either directly or indirectly)

But that still doesn't mean BSD is superior in any way, shape, or form, or that Linux is still using said code.

But that timeline doesn't mean that code followed those paths, therein lies the flaw of this entire discussion. Linux got zero code from Minix just like Minix was written from scratch and got no code from Unix.

I think you should read this: http://www.geocities.com/connorbd/bsd.html and brush up on your BSD history. As BSD and Linux have extremely little in common.

But still, this entire discussion of BSD vs. Linux is more or less irrelevant, as it is just a different kernel. While a kernel is important (obviously), with the rest of the system identical, everything will more or less perform identically (baring the few programs that rely heavily on the kernel, such as servers spawning hundreds of threads and abusing the TCP/IP stack)
you are right in some aspects, but my point main point was that gentoo is using FreeBSD for a new gentoo that's the new...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours