I have a question. I have a bunch of old 386 (might be some 486s in there also) chips lying around. How compatible are they with the z80 in calcs? I have a calc that is a little crazy. I have the hardware lying around to make a CPU switch also. I doubt this is plausible, but I couldn't keep my mind off of it at work today.
What makes you think that the processor's the problem, though?
the only thing I plan on replacing it the machine is why.
I'd say roughly zero. You *might* get *some* of the pin definitions matched up, but for one thing, you'd have a lot of unmatched pins on both sides, for another thing, the 386 is a 32-bit processor whereas the z80 is an 8-bit processor with emulated 16-bit capabilities, and finally, the instruction sets are completely different. So no, it wouldn't work.
I thought 386 was 16bit, but maybe I am wrong. Didn't think it would, but would be cool if it did (talk about an overclocked calculator)
Lol, our good ol' Z80 doesn't even have non-carried 16-bit subtraction. Its 16-bit functions don't even like most of the flags.
Rivereye, I doublechecked the wikipedia page before I posted that. Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80386
But, but, but, Wikipedia is ALWAYS wrong! Evil or Very Mad

I'm kidding, and who would modify a page on a processor? Rolling Eyes
Who cares if it is 16-bit instead of 32-bit anyway? Its not, but the entire point is moot. Different pin outs, different number of pins, and completely different instruction sets.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours