I just watched the Christmas Special of the new 4th Doctor Who season, Voyage of the Damned. It's one of the longer shows that they have produced, clocking in at roughly one hour and ten minutes; the only past character in it is the Doctor. Without giving too much of the plot away, I found it to be well-written, although parts of it seemed like more of a departure from plausible reality than the show usually strays. There were also more characters being killed off than in the course of any normal episode, but I suppose that's because the production team didn't want to have to deal with any of the throwaway characters in the upcoming regular-season episodes. Needless to say, I recommend getting and watching this. Personal recommendation: the [MM] version is the best quality.

For you fans, I have unearthed various bits of trivia from Planet Gallifrey and Wikipedia about the upcoming season. First of all, there's going to be a bunch of companions; I know I'm not the only one who is happy that Rose (Billy Piper) is going to be returning for three episodes, Martha (Freema Agyeman) will be reappearing, and even Donna (Catherine Tate) from last year's Christmas special will show up. There's a possibility this might be David Tennant's last year as the Doctor, and I believe it's fairly set that they're only going to have about three specials in 2009 before returning to a full season in 2010. Last but not least, check out the Torchwood season 2 teaser at the end of the special!
first question... what do you mean MM? It is on bbc1, you just cannot dl it =) (it is also on stage 6 and youtube)

second, yes, it is awesome. It is a lot longer than normal which I really like, and it is a good christmas gift Razz

edit: wait... you can't even play it on bbc1 unless you live in the UK. Anyone here live there? nope? ok then... nevermind.
Umm, surely you know of another way of *ahem* watching TV shows. The list of possible viewing options extends beyond just streaming websites and the original channel, at least these days. Someone want to help me here?
KermMartian wrote:
Umm, surely you know of another way of *ahem* watching TV shows. The list of possible viewing options extends beyond just streaming websites and the original channel, at least these days. Someone want to help me here?

I hate them for shutting down tv links =(

my internet sucks so I use services to dl it off of youtube. One thing that is interesting is that I am using an extremely simple flv player, and the video quality is a LOT better than it is on youtube... (the one I am using is just a swf file with a playlist that you have to enter the files into manually, since vlc player is not working...)
Let me clarify. Suppose a person was able to get small sequences of ones and zeros, different sequences from each of many people around the world, then piece those together on his or her computer into a whole that may coincidentally resemble a TV show. I and (I'm sure) everyone else on this website frowns on torrenting and would never consider committing the atrocity of copyright violation, but there are those unscrupulous souls out there who (I've heard) torrent and seed Dr. Who episodes.
KermMartian wrote:
Let me clarify. Suppose a person was able to get small sequences of ones and zeros, different sequences from each of many people around the world, then piece those together on his or her computer into a whole that may coincidentally resemble a TV show. I and (I'm sure) everyone else on this website frowns on torrenting and would never consider committing the atrocity of copyright violation, but there are those unscrupulous souls out there who (I've heard) torrent and seed Dr. Who episodes.

Like I said, my internet sucks to much to go for a higher res version, so the youtube one is the best I could really get. Although I may go to my friends house for the next one, he like Doctor Who and his internet is blazing fast (no t1 level, but he can download almost 1 megabyte per second late at night =P
there are also certain places where an HD divx version is available (or was, i think the HD copy was taken down)
elfprince13 wrote:
there are also certain places where an HD divx version is available (or was, i think the HD copy was taken down)
Ah yes, Stage6 has epic win on many counts, although their search is often difficult to use.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Ah yes, Stage6 has epic win on many counts, although their search is often difficult to use.

no reason to search if you no the proper channels. you can also use a google site search on stage6, it even works fairly well on disguised titles
Good idea, I'll definitely try that the next time I'm searching for something there.
hm... very interesting. I'll be looking forward to the season, and Torchwood too Very Happy
gah, I've now finished all the new seasons, and torchwood, and most of firefly (good show, btw), and none of the OLD seasons have enough complete episodes to keep me sane.

any recommendations?
Yeah, I never was really able to get into the old episodes either. :/
It sucks too... some of the ones I've seen are really awesome, with their horrible special effects Very Happy
alex10819 wrote:
It sucks too... some of the ones I've seen are really awesome, with their horrible special effects Very Happy

Doctor Who is known for its cheap special effects Razz
I saw one old one with the loch ness monster.... you never saw the Doctor and the Loch Ness Monster in the same shot, even when it was about to eat the Doctor Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours