Hey, Elrunethe2nd told me about this new search engine. It doesn't have much of a crawler yet, because of course its just starting out, but it looks really good Very Happy

I wanted to point it out and see if we can't get a discussion about it going.

http://www.cuil.com/
swivelgames wrote:
Hey, Elrunethe2nd told me about this new search engine. It doesn't have much of a crawler yet, because of course its just starting out, but it looks really good Very Happy

I wanted to point it out and see if we can't get a discussion about it going.

http://www.cuil.com/
It's been trawling Cemetech for about two months now, but I must say that I'm extremely underwhelmed when I used their search tool that was released a few days ago. Word on the street is that the project was started by a few ex-Google engineers, that Google was looking to acquire it at some point, but eventually decided against it.
Interesting... Very.

I'm glad to hear that its by some previous Google mates. That comforts me ^^,

Hopefully this will turn out well because from the looks of it Google is turning bad Sad

Did you hear about one of their latest projects?

Forgot what it was called... it was an online game actually... like a virtual lounge. Terrible. I didn't think Google would sink so low. I'm very disappointed =/

http://www.cuil.com/info/management/ Smile
They redeemed themselves for me by funding plug-in hybrid research and developing an internal vehicle for their use that gets 93mpg.
Wow O_O

Thats crazy. Why don't they sell something like that? "The Google Car" Laughing

They shouldn't keep something like THAT private... 93mpg?

/me wants info pl0x XD
Here's the article that I'm getting my information from:
http://gigaom.com/2008/07/30/google-moves-to-reinvent-transportation/
swivelgames wrote:
Hopefully this will turn out well because from the looks of it Google is turning bad Sad

Forgot what it was called... it was an online game actually... like a virtual lounge. Terrible. I didn't think Google would sink so low. I'm very disappointed =/

Uh, what? How is messing around with other ideas == Google "sink so low"? Even if it sucks, I don't see them charging you for it. Then again, just because it is on google's site doesn't necessarily mean it is an official "Google" project - it could just be one of the engineers messing around (they do get to work on a pet project 1 day a week).

Google is most certainly not turning bad, nor even moving in that general direction at all... Rolling Eyes

As for "cuil", it sucks - its all hype. Maybe it'll get better, but I kind of doubt it. Google is far more "web driven" in delivering its results.
their results suck pretty badly, didn't turn up results for any of the 20 or so searches I've made for my job in the last 2 days.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Then again, just because it is on google's site doesn't necessarily mean it is an official "Google" project - it could just be one of the engineers messing around (they do get to work on a pet project 1 day a week).
Understood.

And yeah, Cuil does suck... The site itself looks okay, but results are terrible indeed >.>
Cuil has about 1/15 of the pages indexed of Google. End of discussion.
Really? That many? Wow... I thought for sure it had less... Laughing
ticalc.org doesn't appear in any of the first fifteen results for "graphing calculator games" Sad

http://www.cuil.com/search?q=graphing%20calculator%20games&sl=long
Lololololol. Cemetech and my site both get more hits than Cuil.
yoman82 wrote:
0x5. Cemetech and my site both get more hits than Cuil.
What do you mean by "more hits"?
According to Alexa, we have more unique hits a day than Cuil.
swivelgames wrote:

I believe you're talking about Lively... Hehe, it DOES seem a little too "cartoony" for most of us. Laughing

Anyhow, while I do think the folks at Google will step it up a notch because of Cuil (see their latest search experiments here), I think it's safe to say that Google will remain on top for quite awhile... Cuil's managed to get some hits because of the media focusing on it, but I doubt many of those folks will make it their favorite site. They're certainly trying some new things in displaying searches, but, the bottom line is, we want searching to easy, quick, and seamless. Google does that job just fine, IMO.
yoman82 wrote:
Cuil has about 1/15 of the pages indexed of Google. End of discussion.

Actually, Cuil claims to have 3 times the number of pages indexed that Google does, hence the initial hype (before people realized its ranking algorithm sucks)
As you say, it's possible that they do indeed have many more pages indexed than Google, but that doesn't mean that their results are necessarily going to be better. In fact, that almost guarantees that they'll be worse, considering that Cuil is a very young company, and hasn't figured out a way to weed out wheat from chaff on the internet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours