this was intentional:

still cranking (not nearly that hard, but on all 8 cores) 46 hours later Very Happy 89% done, so 5 hours to go. I have similar stuff (smaller batches of data) running on 4 more dual core machines in the advanced CS lab, and one bigger batch (almost double the size) that I still have to run.
System specs?

Oh, and owned:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/01/05/what-does-256-cores-look-like/
Very cool, although I question how this relates to Calculator Hardware. Very Happy That 256-CPU resource manager boggles my mind.
Kllrnohj wrote:
System specs?

8 x 3GHz Xeon's, 6GB of RAM. It's part of a cluster with 3 more quad cores, but I wasn't using those since I didn't want to take on the overhead of dealing with MPI. Also, I don't want to hear any "pwneds" coming from you until you even touch one of those Wink I spent my summer getting paid to fix + benchmark a 44 core cluster (11 x 4 cores) networked with gigabit ethernet.

Kerm: oops, that was supposed to be in the general tech forum >_<
Your processors are slightly faster than v200's, but we have twice as much ram. I consider it a tie!
@allynfolksjr: what is that supposed to mean? (I never used Linux...)
EDIT: I just noticed that it is my 100th post!
It's called top (htop, anyway), you yokel. Smile

That's kinda cheating, though, since you appear to be running BOINC. Sounds like elfprince is actually doing something of his own design (but what?).
ZagorNBK wrote:
@allynfolksjr: what is that supposed to mean? (I never used Linux...)
EDIT: I just noticed that it is my 100th post!
It means he has 8 CPUs maxed out, memory not really in use too much, swap barely touched.
KermMartian wrote:
swap barely touched.

Since when did zero qualify as barely? Razz
allynfolksjr wrote:
Your processors are slightly faster than v200's, but we have twice as much ram. I consider it a tie!

what's v200 (besides a hardly used calculator model)? I'm assuming some sort of computer/cluster on your campus?
It's the calcg server.
allynfolksjr wrote:
It's the calcg server.
It is calcg's totally unnecessarily strong server, where a P3 with 256MB of RAM and a light Gentoo distro would easily suffice.
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
It's the calcg server.
It is calcg's totally unnecessarily strong server, where a P3 with 256MB of RAM and a light Gentoo distro would easily suffice.

Yeah, but we're selling VMs now, so the load average is like at 2 now!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours