I have completed an asm game and I want to release it to the public. However, I don't want to have to make a separate basic program to run the asm code nor force the user to use the asm( function from the catalog. Also, I don't use shells because they mess up my calculator.

I downloaded the public encryption key and a program that is supposed to generate the app but I'm really confused on how to use it. Can anyone guide me through the process of converting the program? Thanks!
First off, if your program works fine as a program, there's no reason to make it an application. It's very simple to add Asm( when running it. Converting it to an application will be some extra work, and will use up more space on the calculator (unless your program is 16kb already, which I doubt).

But here's what you asked about, anyway:

If you're talking about actually assembling your program into an application, you should check out ZDS (Zilog Development Studio) version 3.68 (I think...don't trust me on that). At the very least, you'll have to relocate the start of your program from $9D95 to $4000. Also, if you have any self-modifying code or writeback, you'll have to modify it, since you'll be running out of flash memory instead of ram.

On the other hand, you could just get a program called BasicBuilder which essentially zips your program into a self-extracting application, which extracts itself and runs your program automatically. This would be easier, but again, it's quite pointless, since it just takes up more space than your program would ordinarily.
magicdanw wrote:
Also, if you have any self-modifying code or writeback, you'll have to modify it, since you'll be running out of flash memory instead of ram.

I actually do have some of that...

I was thinking about it, and maybe it would be fine on a shell. But there are a few of them out there (mirage, ion, Doors, etc...). I know nothing about them, but would an asm program for any one of these shells be compatible? Or would I have to make slightly different versions of the program for each one?
you can make slightly different headers to customize it for each one, or just make an ion version, which will be recognizable by all of them.
Well just to follow up, I did eventually port it to Mirage OS and I'll make more ports later on when I'm less lazy.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/417/41737.html

Thanks again for the help. I think it turned out pretty well given that its my first ever ASM program. I know its simple, but that's why I chose to make it.
quigibo wrote:
Well just to follow up, I did eventually port it to Mirage OS and I'll make more ports later on when I'm less lazy.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/417/41737.html

Thanks again for the help. I think it turned out pretty well given that its my first ever ASM program. I know its simple, but that's why I chose to make it.
Oh, I saw that released, it looks quite nice. Congrats on a job well done.
Yeah, I believe it's the only released ASM game this year. Razz And yes, it looks pretty cool. Smile
calc84maniac wrote:
Yeah, I believe it's the only released ASM game this year. Razz And yes, it looks pretty cool. Smile
Well, the year is still young. I've been nursing an idea for a while that I think I finally will have time to do. Today I've begun to write down the plot, and it's looking promising Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours