Oh no, I see what happened. They all went out of business, then they got bought out and 23 of the stores were reopened.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Then why get a Quad at all?

Because I can?

Yeah, it was probably mostly mobo issues. Some examples I've read about are heating issues and the mobo just failing hardcore to actually do anything. While sure, there are probably great mobos out there for the i7, they're all rather expensive as it's recent technology. My parents are starting to get a bit ... iffy... on the whole $1000+ computer thing so I didn't really want to spend too much on the mobo. Knowing my parents, they could easily say "screw it! this is too expensive!" and end this thing there.....

Also, I don't really do much upgrading. The only upgrading I've ever done is doubling the RAM in my laptop. Even if the entire thing is obsolete, I won't care much because I probably won't ever be prying open the case once I get everything together and working.

Meh....
Knowing my luck, this thing will probably explode on boot up anyway.... >.>

Go to CompUSA and buy a computer; you are unworthly of building your own.

Agreed (or if you don't have a CompUSA near you, try Best Buy, or maybe http://content.dell.com/us/en/home/lifestyle.aspx Rolling Eyes )

Also, I can find you examples of a P4 that literally exploded. The i7 reviews from all the good sites (eg, the sites that actually know what the hell they are doing) had nothing but praises (or at least "its an improvement") for the i7. Also, dropping $200+ isn't uncommon for a good motherboard.
Best Buy is annoying as hell to buy stuff from; as soon as you walk in they're all over you trying to sell you shit.
The only thing I hate about buying from Best Buy is their Mail-in Rebate slips. It never works for me.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Best Buy is annoying as hell to buy stuff from; as soon as you walk in they're all over you trying to sell you a.

...computer?

Hmm, weird; the Best Buy closest to me is actually pretty good about that... they advertise that none of their employees work on commission... I distinctly remember that Circuit City used to be a whole lot worse in that aspect....
QuinnZhao wrote:
The only thing I hate about buying from Best Buy is their Mail-in Rebate slips. It never works for me.
I never trust mail-in rebates from anything. I have heard so many horror stories about mail-in rebates that at this point I simply add the amount of the mail-in rebates to the price listed on the assumption that I'm not going to even bother to file the rebate.
KermMartian wrote:
QuinnZhao wrote:
I never trust mail-in rebates from anything. I have heard so many horror stories about mail-in rebates that at this point I simply add the amount of the mail-in rebates to the price listed on the assumption that I'm not going to even bother to file the rebate.

I trust the rebated price, but still get burned on it. Sad
rthprog wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Best Buy is annoying as hell to buy stuff from; as soon as you walk in they're all over you trying to sell you a.

...computer?

No; it's supposed to read "sell you shit", but with Kerm's stupid word filtering, "shit" becomes "a".

rthprog wrote:
Hmm, weird; the Best Buy closest to me is actually pretty good about that... they advertise that none of their employees work on commission... I distinctly remember that Circuit City used to be a whole lot worse in that aspect....

They told me that too when I went in to buy a cellphone (I call bs on them).
Wow! You are special. I got a six pack from my dad...
Quote:
Son, now, you are a man!
KermMartian wrote:

I've had no trouble getting rebates. You just have to fill out a form and read over it carefully - its pretty simple. It just takes forever to get back.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I've had no trouble getting rebates. You just have to fill out a form and read over it carefully - its pretty simple. It just takes forever to get back.

You're lucky then; the rest of us get letters back saying "sorry, you don't get a rebate and we're not telling you why HAHAHA!!!!"
I just built a nice computer on newegg, it's missing a few parts I had in stock, but I could give you the reciept. a fast, only $400
yoman82 wrote:
I just built a nice computer on newegg, it's missing a few parts I had in stock, but I could give you the reciept. a fast, only $400
What are the specs? How's the case, got some pics? What OS are you going for?
KermMartian wrote:
yoman82 wrote:
What are the specs? How's the case, got some pics? What OS are you going for?

Look at www.propertyroom.com for some crap computers that you can get parts from if you want them.
I envy you...when I graduated, the only thing my parents gave me was a new bicycle...they thought I would be able to use it in college. Oh well, I am using it now...
manicrabbit wrote:
I envy you...when I graduated, the only thing my parents gave me was a new bicycle...they thought I would be able to use it in college. Oh well, I am using it now...
Haha, glad to hear it. Welcome to Cemetech, what brings you to our fair shores?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours