Well, I was looking through his archives, and I saw this
http://www.brandonw.net/calcstuff/progger.zip

Apparently, it modifies the program parser so that programs could be run directly from the archive without unarchiving or copying the program.

Anyone else looked into it?
no, but that sounds really cool!
Reapex wrote:
Well, I was looking through his archives, and I saw this
http://www.brandonw.net/calcstuff/progger.zip

Apparently, it modifies the program parser so that programs could be run directly from the archive without unarchiving or copying the program.

Anyone else looked into it?

Brandon also wrote NoShell, which I believe is a later version of this...
though CalcUtil tends to be a little more stable. Very Happy
Noshell just copies it to RAM or unarchives it.

And Calcutil is indeed more stable Smile
It sounds pretty sweet. I never knew there were programs with the ability to do that.
That is pretty sweet, but I would assume it has the obvious limitation that it wouldn't work with programs with SMC or writeback.
I just noticed this post. It has nothing at all to do with Noshell or any shell. It's a re-implementation of the BASIC parser from scratch, except with the ability to run programs directly from the archive without having them be in RAM first.

I saw something shiny and got distracted from it and never came back to it.
brandonw wrote:
I just noticed this post. It has nothing at all to do with Noshell or any shell. It's a re-implementation of the BASIC parser from scratch, except with the ability to run programs directly from the archive without having them be in RAM first.

I saw something shiny and got distracted from it and never came back to it.
Very impressive. /me adds to list of things to ask Brandon about for DCS7.
It's horribly incomplete and will likely never be finished. It's akin to rewriting the OS...BASIC is basically just an interface to all the features of the OS, and trying to duplicate that is not at all easy. The core is there to do the basic stuff like running programs, math, variable support, and storing to them, but none of the BASIC control commands (If/Then/Else/End) and pretty much almost everything you'd see in the CATALOG. It's a proof-of-concept thing more than anything.
Ah, fair enough. Still, it's a very impressive endeavor, and shows what could be done with an interpreter for a BASIC-type language better-suited to gaming than statistics.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours