Why can't it display imaginary numbers?
well lets see for one they are "imaginary" Laughing
You can't use it as a variable but you can output the character by including a quotation mark at the beginning as with standard text.
I mean what is the technical limitation that disallows the display of an imaginary number value.
Reapex wrote:
I mean what is the technical limitation that disallows the display of an imaginary number value.

Take your imaginary number, strip off the imaginary unit, and then display that followed by 'i' - problem solved.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Reapex wrote:

Take your imaginary number, strip off the imaginary unit, and then display that followed by 'i' - problem solved.

@Reapex, not to insult your intelligence, but if your imaginary number is in Ans, just use

Code:
Text(1,1,real(Ans),"i
I don't think that's the question he's asking.
Reapex wrote:
Laziness on the part of TI's programmers? There's nothing that would prevent them from recognizing a complex (%f+%fi) or imaginary (%fi) number and displaying it as such. Since they didn't do so, we have to go through the trouble of making up display methods ourselves. Razz
Well, that's rather stupid.
Reapex wrote:
No arguments here. Smile That's just the TI-OS, and that's why we should make our own OS. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Reapex wrote:
No arguments here. Smile That's just the TI-OS, and that's why we should make our own OS. Wink

Doors OS!
rthprog wrote:

Code:
Text(1,1,real(Ans),"i

Actually, that should be

Code:
Text(1,1,imag(Ans),"i
How about this?

Code:
:If not(imag(Ans
:Then
:Text(1,1,Ans
:Else
:If not(real(Ans
:Text(1,1,imag(Ans),"i
:If real(Ans
:Text(1,1,real(Ans),"+",imag(Ans),"i
:End
Fir the record, if I recall from poking around enough. The Text() command can only draw from a limited bank of characters using Ans, and for some reason the imaginary number "i" that the TI OS uses does bad things to it internally. Just my 2 cents.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours