As you can see, I'm creating a new Moon map, using actual lunar topographical data from NASA. The problem is that real topographical data isn't very interesting up close, and is rough and difficult to build on, so I'm thinking of building my own smoother heightmap, or ripping the one from Mass Effect. What do y'all think?

EDIT- also the skybox srsly sucks the c0ck.
Wouldn't you be able to see other planets from the moon?
DShiznit wrote:

As you can see, I'm creating a new Moon map to replace the one Gobbles pulled, using actual lunar topographical data from NASA. The problem is that real topographical data isn't very interesting up close, and is rough and difficult to build on, so I'm thinking of building my own smoother heightmap, or ripping the one from Mass Effect. What do y'all think?

EDIT- also the skybox srsly sucks the c0ck.

I've got this.
Okay, first, I suggest Mass Effect, or post a photo so I can judge, but knowing Bioware... "You know those Germa... Bioware, you know they make good stuff...".
Either that, or increase the extremity of the features in the NASA map.
Consider that people don't give a trout whether the Moon is precise or not unless you can use a crater as a jump for the moon-buggy/TBM cart you have.

Two, black out the sky, but keep the Earth. It looks good. Make your own starmap (I believe any competent GIMP level image editor can do this) and overlay, perhaps increase the texture size. A ridiculously HD skybox would kick a$$.

Quote:
Wouldn't you be able to see other planets from the moon?

Nope. Don't trivialize spacial distances. These is enormous amounts of space you are talking about. They'd look comparably similar to how they do from Earth, maybe a bit larger. You haven't crossed a significant distance of space yet.

Also, topic title, approved.
Honestly, I'm not sure why spiting Gobbles is a goal, but I'll be happy to see a new moon map. I ran into the same problems with the scale of geospatial data when making my grand canyon map. You can use curves in GIMP to make the height changes more drastic, and increase the terrain square size.
except I can't use gimp.

Also, this is the spheremap I wanted made into a skybox:

http://oera.net/How2/PlanetTexs/StarsMap_2500x1250.jpg

EDIT- how's this for terrain:

EDIT- who likes bump mapping:

This appears to be a tutorial for converting spheremaps into skyboxes. I may actually consider doing this with the SpaceBox map in order to de-seam it a little.

http://www.biomassthegame.com/j20090525.html
except I don't know how to use blender. I don't suppose you'd wanna do that for me if you're going to use that same method anyway for spacebox...

Also:

Shizzam! I love filter forge...
Then learn to use GIMP, and learn to use Blender. Easy solution. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Then learn to use GIMP, and learn to use Blender. Easy solution. Very Happy

"Whats that? You have cancer! That's too bad. Find the cure, easy solution Smile ".
I guarantee that would get you punched if you said that to anyone, and I wouldn't say something so unnecessary.

Blender is godawful. It subjects you to levels of complication and indifference most LG television manuals cannot match, even with the tutorials, or I am debilitatingly retarded. The probability of the latter is low.
I wouldn't install GIMP ever again either.

Shiznit, for the latest photo with the bump map, could you increase the depth of the larger craters? It has seemed to toned down the map overall, and a combination of the first photo in that post and the last would be best IMO.
To be fair, Blender has a steep learning curve, but I find the GIMP infinitely more pleasant to use than photoshop, even if it's missing a few features comparatively.
Funny, I can use Blender without any issue. Stop complaining, put out some effort into learning it, and you might be able to use it.
elfprince13 wrote:
To be fair, Blender has a steep learning curve, but I find the GIMP infinitely more pleasant to use than photoshop, even if it's missing a few features comparatively.

I went out and bought Photoshop, and torrents of Photoshop Portable are everywhere these days, anyway.
I wouldn't go for Gimp over those. I found the window division annoying, and it was hard to find several functions. On the plus side, it does take Photoshop brushes, so it isn't that bad.

GreyMario wrote:
Funny, I can use Blender without any issue. Stop complaining, put out some effort into learning it, and you might be able to use it.

Says the neurosurgeon.
How long did it take you to learn it?
Oh wait no, why am I asking silly questions. You picked it up and made it work because you're a 'super professional'.
I picked it up and made it work because the tutorial I used to learn the Blender interface was straightforward.
GreyMario wrote:
I picked it up and made it work because the tutorial I used to learn the Blender interface was straightforward.

Uh huh. Pull my other leg.
look ma no difficulty

Nice forum software, guys. Won't let me edit a post within a few seconds of posting it.
GreyMario wrote:
look ma no difficulty

Nice forum software, guys. Won't let me edit a post within a few seconds of posting it.

I'll have to look into that, nice find GreyMario.
GreyMario wrote:
look ma no difficulty

Its not a 'nice find'. That is the first thing you find when you search for help with Blender.
It's tricky, assumes you have a rudimentary understanding of the window and requires a few hours.
I have the time, but it was darn hard to follow that, and it leaves you with a thing that looks like may vaguely resemble something that is almost but not entirely unlike something you once saw.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours