http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/science-begins-at-lhc/

Discuss.
I'm glad to still be around.
It was never going to destroy the world, although it's more speed than has ever existed on this planet, it's with the infinitesimal mass of particles, so the total force isn't too great.
DShiznit wrote:
It was never going to destroy the world, although it's more speed than has ever existed on this planet, it's with the infinitesimal mass of particles, so the total force isn't too great.

Actually, the collisions done in the LHC happen all the time in the atmosphere (sometimes with even more power than the LHC). Anyone who thought it was going to destroy the world should be shot in the face for being utterly retarded.
I want something to go wrong and everyone dies because I'm an emo. I cut myself.
Sephiroth wrote:
I want something to go wrong and everyone dies because I'm an emo. I cut myself.

I knew it!
I thought that was common knowledge Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Actually, the collisions done in the LHC happen all the time in the atmosphere (sometimes with even more power than the LHC). Anyone who thought it was going to destroy the world should be shot in the face for being utterly retarded.
There's still a nonzero chance it could create a black hole that destroys the world. Very Happy Then again, the collisions happening every second in the atmosphere could do, but oh well.
KermMartian wrote:
There's still a nonzero chance it could create a black hole that destroys the world. Very Happy Then again, the collisions happening every second in the atmosphere could do, but oh well.

There is also a non-zero chance that I turn into the hulk and murder you all.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

There is also a non-zero chance that I turn into the hulk and murder you all.

In fact, if you happen to subscribe to many-worlds, rather than the Copenhagen Interpretation, there happen to be an infinite number of universes where you already have; and a still infinite number in which, after that happened, I killed you with a lightsaber.
elfprince13 wrote:
In fact, if you happen to subscribe to many-worlds, rather than the Copenhagen Interpretation, there happen to be an infinite number of universes where you already have; and a still infinite number in which, after that happened, I killed you with a lightsaber.

Now you're just being silly. Lightsabers aren't real, everyone knows that.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Now you're just being silly. Lightsabers aren't real, everyone knows that.

Actually, they do. Just not Star Wars style ones. They are more like light-daggers, with the blades being maybe an inch long, used by various industries to easily cut through tougher materials.
ACagliano wrote:
Actually, they do. Just not Star Wars style ones. They are more like light-daggers, with the blades being maybe an inch long, used by various industries to easily cut through tougher materials.

Obviously you killed the joke, but did you really have to be stupid about it? "light-daggers" don't exist either. I believe you are thinking of plasma cutters - which are not "light-daggers".
Kllrnohj wrote:
ACagliano wrote:

Obviously you killed the joke, but did you really have to be stupid about it? "light-daggers" don't exist either. I believe you are thinking of plasma cutters - which are not "light-daggers".

Ok. You got me. I made up the word light-daggers. Plasma cutters is what I meant.
Plasma cutters are an entirely different beast than lightsabers. In a plasma cutter, an inert gas is plasmified with an electrical arc, and the resulting plasma is used to cut medal before dispersing under the pressure of the plasma being emitted behind it. In a lightsaber, the primary and focusing crystals convert energy from the power cell into plasma, which is then constrained by means of a magnetic field, and projected a meter or so, before being redirected to a negatively charged ring on the outside of the emitter matrix, where the power is reabsorbed and channeled through superconductors back to the power cell.

Kllrnohj: says the Hulk ^_^ My friend Luke might have something different to say on that subject.
I though for sure it was going to implode, for I remember Steven Hawkings placing a gentlemen's bet that a black hole would be created. There is still a chance it could happen because I remember the news reports saying it was only running half-speed. When they fully crank it up, I will be a-runnin'.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I though for sure it was going to implode, for I remember Steven Hawkings placing a gentlemen's bet that a black hole would be created. There is still a chance it could happen because I remember the news reports saying it was only running half-speed. When they fully crank it up, I will be a-runnin'.

how? Even light can't escape a black hole. You expect a running human to be able to?
It could be a black hole with little enough mass that it burns out almost instantly due to hawking radiation. We don't really know yet, and that's why the LHC was built.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours